Friday, January 9, 2009

A Morning At The Zoo

I bet you thought I was going to say that we went to the zoo!






Little did you know that I was referring to the behaviour of three Weiss children!!






Since they were already acting like they belonged in the zoo, I decided they should take up residence there....



=P
Before you panic, those monkeys are fake and I really didn't leave the kids there, but I thought about it!
BUT, I have to say that our little foray to the zoo yesterday morning was a delightful distraction from all the fighting and tearing up the house and temper tantrums that was going on by three very tired little children:)
*********

This next picture was kind of funny. We could see this orangutan hanging from a vine directly over a roadway. We were curious as to why he was "hanging around" so we ventured over. What we saw gave us quite the chuckle! He was hanging directly over a truck loaded with bananas!!! Every once in awhile he'd clap his hands together as if he were saying, "I want some bananas, NOW!" He looked rather disappointed when the truck pulled away without sharing with him first:)

The white tiger exhibit gave me the chills and I tried to not have to stay long without letting the kids know why. Some of you may remember me telling about the tiger attack that happened at the zoo last November. It happened about 3 days after we had been there with Tina and Betty and it was a foreign zoo worker who committed suicide by jumping in the tiger enclosure. We have never before seen the tigers in the water in the moat that separates them from us but this time we did. I'm sure that they take swims occasionally - we had just never seen that before. They were also doing a lot of pacing and I shuddered to think that they were looking at us as lunch! So - we didn't stick around long!
The following picture is of a Proboscis Monkey. I think that this literally means "long nose." I have never seen these before so they were fun to watch. I think that every trip we have taken to the zoo we have found another little exhibit that we haven't seen before.

Of course Kaitlyn and Ethan had to hop aboard the Bed & Jerry's cow:)
*******************
After the zoo Ethan took a long nap while I forced the twins to play at the pool for awhile. Yes, I said Forced! You would have thought I had asked them to clean their rooms the way they carried on. Too much competition with the computer and new toys from Christmas, I guess...
We finished up the day with two visits with school friends in an effort to keep them awake longer so they would sleep in later....didn't work as Kait fell asleep at 8pm, even with a friend here!, and they were all up at 5 this morning. Ethan is back in bed (at 9am) and Ryan has the twins outside for some fresh air!
I'm catching up on e-mail and than Ryan and I are headed out to do some shopping for a few things he needs for his class next week.
Hope everyone has a Blessed weekend!






2 comments:

Megan said...

That monkey with the long nose is so ugly. But, I'm glad you guys made it back safe and everyone is getting adjusted. Your trip makes ours look like nothing. It was good to see you in Elgin. I'm back in Iowa now and we head back over the Atlantic next week.

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

I agree - they are the ugliest monkeys I've ever seen! I'll be praying for you next week that Broderick does good for you on the plane. If it goes badly just keep telling yourself it could be a 20 hour flight:) It was great to catch up with you, too!