WARNING: IF YOU ARE A BIT SQUEAMISH YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS POST (or at least the first picture.)
*******************************
We are officially in the seventh lunar month of the Chinese calendar. This is when the Festival of the Hungry Ghosts is celebrated. The following is a quote from my book "Handbook For Expatriates, Working and Living in Singapore" by Goh Kheng Chuan.
"This festival originates from the Taoist belief that the gates of hell are thrown open throughout the seventh month of the lunar year. During this period, spirits are allowed to wander free. Food, incense, silver and gold paper money and paper houses are offered to the dead in order to appease them. Chinese operas and banquets are held all over the island to entertain the wandering spirits. Outdoor concerts and colorful Wayangs (Chinese Street Operas) can be seen at street corners in Chinatown and other venues throughout the island."
I debated about whether to post about this festival because I in no way want to give Satan credit or "free press." I decided though that this is what we experience on every street corner during this month so I would share with you a little about it. The more I have learned about the Chinese culture I have realized that they are enslaved by their superstitions. How freeing it is to not have to live in fear of not appeasing the right spirits or gods but to simply live a sanctified life through Jesus Christ and God will provide for us!
"And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the Lord your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul,
That I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil.
And I will send grass in thy fields for thy cattle, that thou mayest eat and be full."
Deuteronomy 11:13-15
May we lift up the nations of the world in prayer who do not believe in God and who do not accept Jesus as their Savior that they may learn the Truth and be freed from the bonds of Satan!
Inside the tents set up for the festival there is a huge array of food. In this particular tent was a pig and box after box of roasted chickens and much fruit and wine.
Usually along with all the food you will see joss sticks (incense) burning and a lot of paper money and Papier-mâché clothes are burned. The Chinese believe that by burning these items they are providing for their relatives in the afterlife. They will sometimes keep these offerings going around the clock and it's not unusual to see the maids "feeding the fire" when the employers are at work.
2 comments:
Wow, that's so odd! It would be neat learning about other cultures but kinda erie to live around it. Thanks for sharing, it's fun learning about Singapore.
It has been interesting, I will say that! It's fun to share what we see and experience with everyone:)
Post a Comment