Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Food For Thought

Think about this the next time you go to throw out leftovers that you have deemed are not "good" anymore...

I usually go through my fridge once a week and throw away any leftovers that are older than one week. At this point I am too scared to serve them to my family due to risk of the leftovers spoiling. Our helper has been taking that food and giving them to two different friends of hers in our condo complex who aren't given enough food to eat by their employers. They are willing to eat food that we are not. I have tried to talk her out of it before thinking that maybe the food wasn't any good. She always says that it's better than nothing and that it's probably fine. Lovel told me today that they ask her if we have any leftovers that we are throwing out that they can have to eat.

I feel so guilty that we take having food so much for granted that we overcook (and have too much for one meal) or under-eat our leftovers (because I tend to say that I don't want the same thing two meals in a row.) I went through my cupboards this morning and gave Lovel some things that have been sitting there for awhile that I will probably never actually use (I had Joan send me some Healthy Choice meals that I ended up not liking and therefore not using) to pass along to her friends so that they can have something made "fresh" instead of leftovers.

The world isn't fair, is it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a good, sobering reminder. We have so much to be thankful for, don't we? Thanks, Becky- good way to start my day, with a grateful heart! :)

David & Jenna said...

This makes me greatful and at the same time so sad for those in need. That's horrible that thier employers are not giving them enough to eat!
BTW, what will happen Lovel when you guys moved back to the states?

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

Lovel has taken a job in Norway as an au pair (nanny). This will be a huge step up for her.

Anonymous said...

That is SO SAD Beck...makes me want to do something for them. I'm happy that Lovel has a job lined up! Joan