Friday, January 7, 2011

Survived the First Week!!!

Our first week of homeschooling is officially over and we all survived!  There were a few moments of tears and frustrations as we worked things out but over all I think we got off to a good start and the classroom is set up and is slowly beginning to fill up with evidence of our work. 

We made the decision to start off our homeschooling experience with the A Beka DVD program where the twins watch a master teacher teach all the lessons in a classroom setting.  We discovered that this wasn't the easiest way for us to start out since we are beginning in the middle of the year and they don't re-explain classroom procedures and are ahead in some of the subjects of where the twins were in school.  The Math for example - A Beka is teaching fourth grade concepts already in third grade and while the twins were in accelerated Math class in school they are still behind the A Beka program.  So today Ryan and I made the official decision to ditch the DVD's and ordered the teacher guides so that I can go back and start where the twins left off in school and try to get them caught up to A Beka by fourth grade.  We may switch to a different Math program next year but in case we don't I want them to be able to start off fourth grade caught up to A Beka.

I also realized half way through the week that I needed to make school more "fun".  I was trying to do all the subjects back to back and wasn't taking breaks for activities that don't require sitting at a desk or to decompress a little.  The kids are only 8 after all:) so we added in "Centers" where they get to pick an activity to do for 20 minutes - Art, Math game on computer, Science Experiment, or Reading Corner - that helps to break up the morning a little and gets them out of their seats.  We also started doing our history lesson in the "Reading Corner" of our classroom which contains a couch so that they are getting a little break from the desk and chair.

Our schedule for the day looks a little like this (more or less as some days we started later or took more time for Math):

8:00 - 8:15 Bible Lesson
8:15 - 9:00 Math
9:00 - 9:20 Centers
9:20 - 9:40 Language
9:40 - 10:00 Journaling/Penmanship
10:00 - 10:15 Snack break
10:15 - 10:35 Spelling
10:35 - 10:55 Reading
10:55 - 11:15 History
11:15 - 11:30 Health

I've had to remind the twins several times (as well as myself) that the schedule is just a guide and that the beauty of homeschooling is that we can take things faster or slower depending on the day and interruptions that come up:)

After lunch we take time to practice piano, do chores, and read.  We also set up a big puzzle on the dining room table that we've been working on when we have free time.  Once a week (Tuesdays from 1 - 3) we will head into Elgin for Gym and Swim...they have a one hour PE class followed by a swim lesson with some free time at the end to just swim around the pool and play.  We start next week and we are excited to see how it all goes!

Evenings consist of activities:  Ballet, Cheerleading for Kait, Piano for both, and Chess club twice a month for Kenton.

It'll be a learning process this semester of what works and what doesn't for our family and I expect that the above schedule/subjects might change a time or two until we've worked out the kinks!  So far it's been fun and I'm finding that I'm learning Math the second time around like I didn't the first time around!  I've also fallen into bed each night mentally exhausted and I'm exercising brain muscles that I forgot I had:)  I've found that I'm enjoying the teaching MUCH more than I thought I would and the kids are enjoying being done with school earlier and not having homework in the evenings. 

PS)  I'll save Ethan for another post!

2 comments:

David & Jenna said...

Glad it's going well for you! You are so ambitious, lady!! :) My days NEVER go as planned! Although, your kids are a little older so that might help.
Have you found a homeschool group in your area to join? It really helps to meet other homeschoolers. For your sake and for the kids sake!! =)
Can't remember if I told you about the bookfair they have in your area in June. It's a really nice fair that I would encourage both you and Ryan to go to!! They will have speakers all all different topics and lots of vendors selling all kinds of fun curriculums! =) I'll have to send you the website for the group and it's book fair. It may even be a good group for you to join! Let me know you if need to talk or vent. ;)

Anonymous said...

Your school sounds more fun than ours! Keep up the great work!!
Robin