Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Need a Little Help...


Whoever can tell me what the above sketch means wins a prize! I have three dials on my oven - the first one is the timer, the second one is the temperature (in Celsius, of course!), and the third one contains the above four options. I made the sketch for our Realtor to see if she can possibly help me...
Good Luck!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Both elements on
2) Broil
3) Bake
4) Nuke that puppy!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Becky! Paul and I were glad to hear that things are going well for you--I'm happy to see you're in your "permanent" setting now. You've made me laugh--and think! Here's my guess on the symbols:
1)Both top and bottom coils on?
2)Only the top heating coil on-like broiling?
3)Just the bottom coil on- for...hmm...burning muffin bottoms? :)
4)Methinks you have a convection oven? Meaning all coils on, including side, bottom, and top, circulating the heat?
I have no clue, but it was fun to use my brain on something completely nonsensical, instead of the two exams I have this week!
btw- my kids and Paul absolutely LOVED the "Charlie bit me" thing. They ask to see it on a daily basis! (Grr...)
Take care! Love you-
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Is it an electric oven?

Maybe there are coils on the top an bottom,
Symbol 1- heat on top AND bottom
Symbol 2- heat on top only
Symbol 3- heat on bottom only
symbol 4- hmmm not so sure... scrambled on top, sliced on bottom....

well, I tried. good luck

Anonymous said...

Would it be both shelves, top shelf, bottom shelf and broil? Just a guess! :)Joan

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

So tell me...when do you use just the top, just the bottom, both, or the entire oven??? And post your name so I know who you are:)

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

For the record, I only see coils on the top...

Anonymous said...

My guess is:
1) both elements/basic cooking
2) top element only/broil/browning tops of things (like garlic bread)
3) bottom element only/not wanting to burn the muffin tops too?
4) "grill" You can't grill and use the oven at the same time - maybe that's what the "[-]" symbol under the squiggly line means?

Jeff said...

Typically, ovens will use both elements when they preheat to get the temp up quicker. Broil will give you kind of a grilled look / taste on like a steak, and bake is just what you use for normal cooking, like cakes. I don't know what the last one is. I'd just try using it and see what happens. Oh, and this time I'll use my name (I was the first anonymous post :-))

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

Jeff,

HMMM - one of them being preheat is an option. I've tried baking on that one with disastrous results. I've also tried the bottom heat as "bake" with disastrous results - it took 45 minutes to get Pillsbury crescent rolls to bake - and they were still chewy on the inside. I haven't had the nerve to try the other two...

I'm wondering if maybe my oven needs to be calibrated? Or maybe we just need to start eating out... =)