Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Arab Street

This morning Ethan and I tackled the MRT again this time getting off at a station we've never alighted at before and switching to a new line that we've never ridden before...all this while he's screaming his little head off because he was BEYOND tired!
You may be asking...what could possibly be worth enduring all of that? The answer is Arab Street! I've never been there so when a friend mentioned that she and another girl were going to check it out I of course was up for the adventure!
I didn't have my camera with me (imagine that!) so pictures will have to come at another time. It was well worth exploring and I'm heading back there soon to check out all the little shops that we didn't have time for today. I was able to get four baskets to help organize my pantry - for a great price! I was looking at them when the proprietor walked up and said "$15 each but I give them to you for $12. How many you want?" I thought a bit and answered, "I'll take four." "Four? Than I give you low price of $10 each! You are first customer today!" I was happy about my great price - he had me at $12 but still came down for some reason. I discovered later that the shop owners will give good discounts to the first buying customer of the day - you supposedly bring them good luck by starting that day's sales. I could have bargained with the man and gotten a much cheaper price! Oh well, live and learn, I guess! He was happy that he made the first sale of the day and I was happy that he came down in price without me bargaining - although I suppose he probably thinks that I'm pretty dumb for not talking him down more! It's pretty much expected that you will bargain in these little shops...
There were all kinds of textile shops, basket shops, shops selling trinkets, carpet stores - all for lower prices than you may find elsewhere on the island. One view that I noticed that I would like to capture with the camera was the contrast of the old shops against a backdrop of modern skyscrapers on the horizon. Other than being a hot day it was fun exploring!
*******************************************
Playing with Kaitlyn's dolls
I don't usually consider myself very creative so I have to admit that I thought our last minute Sunday School project turned out quite well:)
Here's our new table and chairs and also a Singapore downpour that happened yesterday. It's the first thunderstorm that I've experienced since moving here that actually had me a little on edge! The lightening was wicked and was striking very close to the condo. The wind was turning the umbrella around and around...
If you double click on this picture and make it bigger you will notice the blowing, driving rain!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Beck. I love the table, and your deck looks great. Your plants look nice. LOL Joan

Anonymous said...

....actually your plants look great and it makes your patio look so together!!! Joan

Anonymous said...

Love the new table Becky. And Arab street sounds like so much fun!

Unknown said...

Don't think I would ever get tire of the view off your patio, Your table and chairs look great with it!! Nice job voting everyone!!
Love,
Mom W