Thursday, February 25, 2010

Choices

There are too many choices in America!  I've been struck by this fact over and over again since returning from Singapore.  I have been trying for several months now to buy a new phone for our house and each time return home empty handed because there are just too many options and I get overwhelmed trying to compare each brand and model.  This afternoon I headed to Target to look at potential lamps for the office and living room (neither room has any lighting) and once again...returned home empty handed.  Too many choices and that was just at one store!  It's interesting that in Singapore one of the things I missed most about America was the option of many choices.  I didn't realize until we moved back that I had adjusted to not having many choices and it in fact made shopping SO much easier.  Take lamps for instance...the only lamps that were even close to our price range were at Ikea.  They only offer a handful of choices making it much easier to choose one.  I learned to live with things that weren't exactly my style and became more practical about the things we "needed."   Food was another example...if I wanted ground sausage for a breakfast casserole there was only one place in Singapore that carried it - so I learned to live with that even if it wasn't exactly what I had in mind (because of different spices added to the sausage.)  Or I learned how to substitute and make do with a different ingredient instead.  Here you have the choice of mild, country, or spicy and in 4 different brands.  It can also be purchased frozen or refrigerated.  Some stores even grind their own version fresh daily.  AHHHHHH!!!

Here's to simplifying life!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog and I love the new wallpaper. Spring and Easter WILL come :) Love, Joan

Anonymous said...

So, you're over there talking about too many choices and I'm over here talking about no choices (or ugly ones). Ah, it is just really hard to be content sometimes...something I am really trying to work on.

As for your lamps (because I often did this too back home) picture in your mind what you are looking for. Write down metal finish, size etc. Then go to the store and only look at the lamps matching your criteria. Do not let the other choices tempt you! (And they will try!) That's when it becomes hard to make the decision.

I think you should post pictures of some options on here and let us help you decide! :) Good Luck! ~Karen

Megan said...

SO TRUE!!!! And I'm the same way, miss the options in the US, but loving how much simpler things are here.

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

hmmm, Karen - good idea! Maybe I'll try to do that (if I ever remember to take my camera with me or look up options online:)