Sunday, May 25, 2008

Stitches and Fevers and Headaches - Oh My!

Last Thursday evening the kids and I were walking to the local mall with our neighbor Karen and her two kids Sydney and Brody. Ethan and Brody were in strollers and the other three were ahead of us on scooters. We were almost there when Kait had an accident. I'm not sure exactly what happened but I'm surmising that when she fell her glasses hit the handle bar and shattered against her eyelid. Thankfully a local man saw us trying to stop the bleeding and offered to track down a taxi for us. We were not on a main road at that time so it would have been hard for us to do. The taxi arrived and the driver hopped out with a box of Kleenex which was much appreciated! I was using what little we had between Karen and I and it just wasn't enough. Karen took all the kids and our paraphernalia and started heading home and Kaitlyn and I and the scooter hopped in the taxi for the 30 minute trip to the hospital. The staff kept staring at the scooter and asking why we brought it with us! The bleeding had stopped about 5 minutes into the taxi ride (or at least significantly slowed down) so they were able to get a good look at her gash. The ER doctor refused to stitch her up calling in a plastic surgeon instead. The plastic surgeon wanted to put her under general anesthesia as the cut was close enough to her eye that he was afraid she would move while he was doing the local anesthesia and he would risk damaging her eye. The procedure couldn't happen until 10 pm as she needed to be at least 5 hours without food first. This meant that we would be there until 2am to make sure she fully recovered from the anesthesia. Since we were already being charged for a room I decided to just let her sleep there until the morning. She had three cuts that needed sutures - one of them went almost all the way through her eyelid. We get the stitches out on Wed and than hopefully she's home free:)

Now onto the fevers! By noon on Friday Kaitlyn had a headache and a 103 degree fever. Ethan decided to join her late in the evening on Friday...he's still under the weather and I am hoping that she is on the mend. I found the two of them on the couch Friday evening together. One nice thing about Ethan being sick - he snuggles! He's been held non-stop for the past three days which we have been enjoying:) The headaches - just what one experiences when all these things happen and the hubby just happens to be out of the country! AND the hospitals here require you to pay the bill IN FULL before you can leave - this amounted to S$4,495.24 (US$3,307)...ouch!! It's ingenius of the hospitals but it makes me wonder what would have happened if we couldn't pay?
*****************************
I thought I'd include a picture of Kenton setting up his train track in his room. Quite a mess but he had fun. So far he's well and we pray that he remains that way!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, Becky! Poor Kaitlyn. Poor Ethan. And poor you! I hope everything is going much better by now. We can't wait to see you all this summer:)

Anonymous said...

POOR KAITLYN!!! That looks so painful and it's in such a bad spot :( Hopefully she heals quickly! See you soon. ~Jenna

Anonymous said...

Love to Kaitlyn and sorry for her accident. She looks like she was pretty brave thought the ordeal, and Mom too. Hope all heals and thankful it wasn't any worse.
Love Connie & Tom.(Just another concerned grandma)

Anonymous said...

Poor Kait! How did she take it, the stiches I mean?