Wednesday, January 9, 2008

$6/lb???

Today was a crazy busy day so I apologize that I didn't get anyone called! I did try to catch up on a few e-mails while you were all sleeping but only had so much time - sorry if I haven't gotten to yours yet! For those who keep asking about our home phone - I fried our router and we haven't had time to figure out how to get a new one...Sorry!

We started off the day going to the Hong Kong Bank of Singapore to set up our accounts. We were able to take a bus straight there but had trouble getting a bus back. After we walked to the second bus stop and were looking at a map a nice man asked if we needed help and pointed out that we were only about a 5 minute walk back to our apartment! It was a nice walk and the good thing is that Kaitlyn and Ethan were ready for naps when we got back. True to form, since he was 2 years old, Kenton continues to resist naps even when he's falling asleep on his feet!! I was able to get in a short nap before a storm woke up Ethan and sent Kenton running into my room. It rained most of last night and quite a bit during the day today. We experienced our first thunderstorm but it was kind of a dud compared to the Midwestern whoppers! The twins think that it's so much fun to use umbrellas - we'll see if they still feel that way when we leave here:)

Later in the afternoon I made a trip to Cold Storage - the local grocery store that caters (kind of) to expats. I think that they cater more towards Europeans as there are more of them here than us. I was able to find an El Paso taco kit - and paid $6 US a pound for ground beef!! It was from Australia but it still tastes Asian. Thankfully the taco box told me exactly how much meat was needed - 500 Grams - or I wouldn't have had a clue what to tell the lady behind the meat counter what I needed! El Paso tacos here also come from Australia - isn't that a US brand? I noticed that Coca Cola is made in Singapore and Kellogg's cereal is made somewhere in Asia as well. That explains why it tastes different even though it looks the same:) I suppose we'll get used to it and come back to the US and think everything there tastes different. I'm compiling quite the list of things that I'm going to stock up during our next trip home. Or maybe someone who is coming to visit will be kind enough to bring some in their suitcase:)

We ended our day with more apartment shopping. We viewed two that are within walking distance of the Singapore American School - both were quite nice. We also went back through two - one from yesterday and one from Saturday that we also think will work. We're narrowing it down and will hopefully have come to a decision by morning! We are working on a list of pros and cons...

Anyway, I'd better post this before it gets much longer! I'm heading to bed as we've been having early mornings with the kiddos. That won't change as the bus is picking them up next week at 6:45am!!! I think that's crazy early for Kindergartners but there really isn't any other way to get them there - thankfully it's only until February when we can move into our new home.

6 comments:

Julie B. said...

This is so very interesting, Becky. I'm going through culture shock just reading your blog! Good luck with the apartment decision =0)

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

Thanks! We are putting in an offer today on a place! It's a lot like putting in an offer on a house - we are asking that they change light fixtures, paint, and change cupboard doors - kinda different from renting in the US!

Anonymous said...

Thankful you arrived safe. Sounds like alot of adjusting to do. I must be too old because it sounds too hard to me. May God continue to be with you, protect and provide while we are apart.
Love and prayers
Tom & Connie

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

Thank you for checking in with us, Connie! We appreciate the prayers, too! I'm sorely missing our big backyard about now as the kiddos are going stir crazy:)

Anonymous said...

We feel your pain over here in Belgium!!! We pay so much for everything - eggs are a good $4/dozen. Have you tried looking into frozen beef? I found some unseasoned hamburger patties that I now use for all of our ground beef needs. :) It cut the cost by about a quarter. Every little bit helps, though. Funny you talked about El Paso stuff . . . that's the only bit of Mexican we get here, too. The taco shells are pretty good, so it works for us! I am just jealous that you can at least ask the grocery staff about things. I either need to come prepared with a question in French or make something else for dinner! I guess we'll keep up on our French.
Hugs,
Krystin

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

Krystin,
I have often thought of you this past week and wondered how it goes not being able to speak the language or read labels, road signs, etc! I'll have to check for the frozen patties - thanks for the suggestion as I wouldn't have thought of that! Enjoy your El Paso tacos - our were stale - the humidity does that to everything including cereal:(